Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bank of Louisiana

Erected 1826

 
 
Bank of Louisiana Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 24, 2011
1. Bank of Louisiana Marker
Inscription. Built by Bickle, Hamlet & Fox; the iron fence and gates were made by Sterling & Co. of New York. In 1840 the building was damaged by fire and repairs were made; another fire occurred in 1861 after which the structure was again restored and the Royal Street entrance, added from the plans of James Gallier, Jr., architect.

The bank was liquidated in 1867 and for a short time the building was used as the conveyance office. In 1868-1869 it served as the state capitol for Louisiana. In 1870 it was occupied by the Royal Street Auctioneers Exchange. Between 1871 and 1873 the building was used as a concert-hall-beer-saloon, when the city refused permission to continue the saloon operation, the building was remodeled for the use of the Superior Criminal Court.

The court was abolished in 1877 and from 1879 until 1908 the building served as the Office of the Recorder of Mortgages and Conveyances. In 1912 it served briefly as the Juvenile Court.

In 1921 it was occupied by the American Legion and from 1926 to 1971 it served as the social hall for Crescent City Post 125.

During the early 1920’s part of the building was also occupied by the United State’s Shipping Board Sea Service Bureau.

A third fire damaged the building in 1931.

In 1971 the exterior of the building was restored and the interior
Bank of Louisiana Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 24, 2011
2. Bank of Louisiana Marker
The marker is on the fence at the left.
remodeled for the use of the Greater New Orleans Tourist and Convention Commission.

Plaque dedicated 1976 on the sesquicentennial anniversary of the erection of the building.
 
Erected 1976 by New Orleans Landmarks Commission.
 
Location. 29° 57.324′ N, 90° 4.011′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Royal Street and Conti Street on Royal Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 334 Royal Street, New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rillieux – Waldhorn House (within shouting distance of this marker); Edgar Degas House (within shouting distance of this marker); Conway’s Court (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Judge Fred J. Cassibry Square (about 400 feet away); Tortorici’s (about 400 feet away); U.S. Branch Bank (about 400 feet away); Jack Teagarden (about 500 feet away); Original Old Absinthe Bar (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
The Bank of Louisiana Building image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, December 24, 2011
3. The Bank of Louisiana Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 450 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement