Elverson in Chester County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
—Placed on the National Register of Historic Places - 1976 —
Built 1737 by Anna Nutt and Co. Made first Franklin stoves, 1742. Supplied shot and cannon for American revolutionists. Furnace a mile and a half away on side road; iron mines a mile west on the highway.
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historic and Museum Commission.
Location. 40° 9.812′ N, 75° 45.341′ W. Marker is in Elverson, Pennsylvania, in Chester County. Marker is at the intersection of Ridge Road (Route 23) and Warwick Furnace Road, on the left when traveling west on Ridge Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elverson PA 19520, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel Thomas Bull ( approx. 2.2 miles away); Headraces ( approx. 3.1 miles away); Charcoal Kilns ( approx. 3.1 miles away); Charcoal Pit ( approx. 3.1 miles away); Cooling Shed ( approx. 3.1 miles away); Anthracite Furnace ( approx. 3.1 miles away); Ironmaster's Garden ( approx. 3.1 miles away); Welkinweir ( approx. 4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elverson.
More about this marker. Note the clean look of this marker, as well as the pile of dirt at its base. This marker has been recently restored. The
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. Explore PA History - Behind the marker. (Submitted on January 5, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
2. Warwick Furnace - Wikipedia. (Submitted on January 5, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
3. George Taylor - Wikipedia. George Taylor, at one time ran this mill. He went on the sign the Declaration of Independence (Submitted on January 5, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.)
1. A History of Warwick Furnace:
In the years of colonization prior to the Revolutionary War, a group known as the Ironmasters migrated to North America from England. These individuals had been operating forges and furnaces in England and now sought to make a new fortune for themselves in America. Samuel Nutt was one of those Quaker’s; he relocated to Chester County, Pennsylvania, west of Philadelphia.
He eventually relocated near the village of Warwick, in northern Chester County; Warwick Furnace was established in 1737 by his widow Anna Nutt. Samuel Nutt was an English Quaker who had already built an
Samuel Nutt, Jr., died in 1739 he was 21 years of age, the furnace reverted to the remaining heirs, Anna Nutt & Samuel Savage, who continued the operations until 1741. Samuel Savage died in 1742 and the furnace was operated from 1741 to 1752 by George Taylor who had married the widow of Samuel Savage Jr., Taylor also ran the Coventry Forge which was one of a few neighboring furnaces and forges. When Samuel Savage, III, was old enough to run the mill, George Taylor was discharged by the other share owners of Warwick Furnace. At that time around 1752-1753, George Taylor went into a partnership with yet another man named Samuel, Samuel Flower. Taylor and Flower operated the Durham Furnace located in Northern Bucks County, Pennsylvania. George Taylor went on to become a member of the Continental Congress and was a signer of the Declaration
— Submitted January 5, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania.
Categories. • Colonial Era • Industry & Commerce • Notable Places •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,934 times since then and 140 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 5, 2012, by Keith S Smith of West Chester, Pennsylvania. 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 19, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.