Dickinson in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Dickinson Station of the Galveston, Houston, & Henderson Railroad Co.
Two special trains, one for Sunday excursions and one for newspaper deliveries, were operating by 1877.
This depot, designed by Galveston architect George B. Stowe, was built in 1902 to replace the original 1850s structure which had burned in 1900. As Dickinson became a popular location for picnics and outings, special chartered trains brought passengers here on excursions. A nearby racetrack also attracted visitors.
Dickinson became a center for fruit and vegetable production in the early 1900s, and refrigerated rail cars regularly transported the goods to market.
The depot was moved here from the railroad right-of-way in 1967 and adapted for use as a museum.
Erected 1987 by Texas
Location. 29° 26.793′ N, 95° 4.9′ W. Marker is in Dickinson, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Kellner Road and Pine Drive (Texas Highway 517), on the right when traveling north on Kellner Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 218 FM 517 Road West, Dickinson TX 77539, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First United Methodist Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Faith United Methodist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Holy Trinity Episcopal Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 2.4 miles away); League Park (approx. 4˝ miles away); Mainland Mission Churches (approx. 4˝ miles away); St. Mary Mission Church (approx. 4˝ miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dickinson.
Also see . . . Galveston, Houston and Henderson Railroad Company. The Handbook of Texas (Submitted on January 5, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Categories. • Railroads & Streetcars •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 5, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 581 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 5, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. 2, 3. submitted on January 19, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.