Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Defenses of Washington
During the Civil War, the Union built a series of forts to defend Washington, D.C. By 1865 there were 33 earthen fortifications in the Arlington Line. Fort Woodbury (1861) was part of this defensive strategy. Built east of this marker, this lunette fort was named for Major D.P. Woodbury, the engineer who designed and oversaw the building of the entire Arlington Line.
Erected by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 11.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 53.385′ N, 77° 5.032′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is at the intersection of North Courthouse Road and North 14th Street, on the right when traveling south on North Courthouse Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Arlington Line (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Cass (approx. 0.3 miles away); John C. McKinney Memorial Stables (approx. half Fort Strong (approx. half a mile away); Fort Myer Historic District (approx. half a mile away); The Commander in Chief's Oak (approx. half a mile away); 12th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry (approx. half a mile away); First Flight of an Airplane on a U.S. Army Installation (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red arrow pointing out the location of Fort Woodbury.
The original marker was worded slightly differently: Immediately behind the present Court House stood Fort Woodbury, a lunette in the Arlington Line constructed in August 1861. It had a perimeter of 275 yards and 19 emplacements for 13 guns. It was named for Major D.P. Woodbury, the Engineer who designed and constructed the Arlington Line.
1. Fort Woodbury Particulars
From "Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington," by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and
The fort was named for Brig. Gen. Daniel P. Woodbury, who died in August 1864 of yellow fever. The original fort stood at the intersection of 14th and Troy Streets, a block west of the marker. The fort's perimeter was 275 yards, with support for 13 guns. Armament included five 24-pdr guns, three 30-pdr Parrotts, four 6-pdr guns, and one 24-pdr Coehorn mortar. Other structures in the fort included two magazines and a fortified barracks.
Units stationed at Fort Woodbury at times during the war included the 97th New York Infantry, 1st Massachusetts Heavy Artillery, 145th Ohio Infantry, 16th Maine Infantry, and 88th Pennsylvania Infantry.
— Submitted February 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,574 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 3, 2008. 3. submitted on February 9, 2008. 4. submitted on June 10, 2012, by Kevin Vincent of Arlington, Virginia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.