Seabrook in Harris County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Ritson Morris and Elmwood Plantation
Morris received a Mexican land grant and established a 3,000-acre plantation he named Elmwood. He raised livestock and crops, and the family lived in a modest log house. It was later replaced by a large two-story structure that remained on the site until about 1885. Minerva Morris' brother, Ashmore Edwards, built a home nearby.
In 1832 and 1835, Morris participated in skirmishes against the Mexican army at Anahuac, precedents to the Texas Revolution of 1836. Morris sent his family to New Orleans for safety during the revolution, but they later returned and continued to live on the plantation for many years.
Ritson Morris contracted tuberculosis and died on September 21, 1849. He was buried in the family cemetery on Elmwood Plantation. Many of his descendants continue to live in southeast Harris County.
Erected 1991 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10657.)
Location. 29° 34.233′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2400 N Meyer Rd, Seabrook TX 77586, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Prehistoric Indian Campsite (approx. 2 miles away); Kemah (approx. 2½ miles away); Captain William Plunkett Harris (approx. 2.6 miles away); Webster Presbyterian Church (approx. 3.2 miles away); Harris County Boys' School Archeological Site (approx. 3.2 miles away); Houston Yacht Club (approx. 3.4 miles away); West Mansion (was approx. 3.6 miles away but has been reported missing. ); The Roberts-Hanson House (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seabrook.
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 8, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. This page has been viewed 655 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 8, 2012, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.