Santa Paula in Ventura County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
On August 13, 1769 reaching the junction of the Arroyo Mupu with the river, the place was named the Holy Martyrs, Ipólito and Casiano. Upon founding the Mission of San Buenaventura, the priests established here an asistencia and christened it Santa Paula, where they frequently held services for the conversion of the Mupu Indians.
Erected 1955 by El Aliso Parlor No. 314 NDGW, Poinsettia Parlor No. 318 NDGW, Cabrillo Parlor No. 114 NSGW and Ventura County Historical Society. (Marker Number 727.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Gaspar de Portolá Expedition, and the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West marker series.
Location. 34° 21.351′ N, 119° 3.052′ W. Marker is in Santa Paula, California, in Ventura County. Marker is on East Harvard Boulevard, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is located northeast of the Santa Paula Boys Club Recreation Center in Harding Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1458 East Harvard Boulevard, Santa Paula CA 93060, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Birthplace of Union Oil Company of California (approx. half a mile away); Familia Diaz Cafe (was approx. half Saint Francis Dam Disaster Memorial (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Ebell Club (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. Francis Dam Disaster (approx. 1.7 miles away); Santa Clara Schoolhouse (approx. 3.2 miles away); a different marker also named St. Francis Dam Disaster (approx. 6.2 miles away); Fillmore's First Bank & Masonic Hall (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Paula.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Exploration • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 27, 2018. This page originally submitted on December 28, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 671 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on January 9, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 28, 2011, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.