New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Colonel Short’s Villa
In 1832 this property, which was part of the Lavaudais Plantation was subdivided into city squares. September 1, 1863 the house was seized by the federal forces occupying the city as property of an absent rebel.
In March 1864 the house briefly served as the executive mansion of the newly elected federal governor of Louisiana, Michael Hahn. It then became the residence of Major General Nathaniel P. Banks, U.S. Commander, Department of the Gulf.
On August 15, 1865 the house was returned to Colonel Short by the U.S. Government and he lived in it until his death in 1890.
An addition was made in 1906 and the house was restored in 1950.
The unusual cast iron morning-glory and cornstalk fence was furnished by the Philadelphia Foundry of Wood and Miltenberger.
Erected 1978 by New Orleans Landmarks Commission.
Location. 29° 55.798′ N, 90° 5.056′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1448 Fourth Street, New Orleans LA 70130, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. R.N. Girling’s “English Apothecary” (within shouting distance of this marker); Maisonette Creole (within shouting distance of this marker); Garden District (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lafayette Cemetery No. 1 (about 400 feet away); Mayor Isaac W. Patton House (about 400 feet away); Commander’s Palace (about 400 feet away); Gilmour – Parker House (about 500 feet away); Edward A. Davis House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Also see . . . Colonel Short’s Villa - A Southerly Flow. (Submitted on January 10, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 10, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 760 times since then and 90 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 10, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.