Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Defenses of Washington
Here stood Fort Reynolds, a redoubt constructed in September, 1861, to command the approach to Alexandria by way of the valley of Four Mile Run. It had a perimeter of 360 yards and emplacements for 12 guns.
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 19.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 50.272′ N, 77° 5.644′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker is on South 31st Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is just east of South Woodrow Street. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington VA 22206, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Battery Garesché (approx. 0.2 miles away); Edmund Douglas Campbell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell (approx. 0.3 miles away); Margaret Elizabeth Pfohl Campbell (approx. 0.4 miles away); Fairlington (approx. half a mile away); Episcopal High School Virginia Theological Seminary (approx. 0.6 miles away); Rifle Trench (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Fort Reynolds.
1. Fort Reynolds Particulars
From Mr. Lincoln's Forts: A Guide to the Civil War Defenses of Washington, by Benjamin Franklin Cooling III and Walton H. Owen II:
Named for General John F. Reynolds, killed in action at Gettysburg on July 1, 1863. It was originally named Fort Blenker after Brig. Gen. Louis (Ludwig) Blenker, commander of the troops who built the fort in 1861. The fort covered Four Mile Run. The site of the fort is now an apartment complex at the 4500 block of 31st Street (the city of Arlington attempted to preserve the works in the 1950s but failed).
With a perimeter of 360 yards and 12 gun emplacements, the fort was armed with four 32-pdr guns, four 12-pdr howitzers, three 30-pdr Parrott rifles, one 10-inch mortar and two 24-pdr mortars. magazines were placed in the ravine behind the fort. Units garrisoning the fort included the 1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery, 124th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and the 166th Ohio National Guard.
— Submitted February 4, 2008, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2008. This page has been viewed 1,334 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 4, 2008. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.