New Orleans in Orleans Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Site of the St. Charles Theaters
The second St. Charles opened January 18, 1843 and seated over 1,500. Some of the greatest actors of the 19th century played here; Joe Jefferson, Edwin Booth and Charles Keane. Great musicians who appeared here included Ole Bull, Henri Vieuxtemps, Jenny Lind, Henrietta Sontag and Adelina Patti. This burned June 4, 1899.
The third St. Charles opened in 1902 and was part of the Orpheum Vaudeville Circuit. Sarah Bernhardt make her final local appearance here and Rosa Ponselle her first. It was demolished in 1967.
Location. 29° 56.995′ N, 90° 4.218′ W. Marker is in New Orleans, Louisiana, in Orleans Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Saint Charles Avenue and Poydras Street on Saint Charles Avenue. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bank of Louisiana in New Orleans (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lafayette Square (about 500 feet away); Whitney National Bank (about 600 feet away); Kossuth (about 600 feet away); Bank’s Arcade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Le Pavillon Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lambert-Gallier Inn of Court (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bienville's Plantation (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Orleans.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music •
More. Search the internet for Site of the St. Charles Theaters.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 16, 2017. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 517 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 13, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.