Menlo in Chattooga County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Last Indian Agent
A religious man, he is said to have financed the first missionary to the Cherokees. He was appointed U.S. Indian Agent to the Cherokees by President Monroe mar. 3, 1825 and served until the Cherokees were driven out of Georgia. For his services he was granted 3,000 acres of land in Chattooga County.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 027-1.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 27.693′ N, 85° 29.031′ W. Marker is in Menlo, Georgia, in Chattooga County. Marker is on State Highway 337. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1106 Hwy 337, Menlo GA 30731, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Alpine, Georgia (approx. 0.6 miles away); Barry Springs Indian Stockade (approx. 2.6 miles away in Alabama); Arthur "Tarzan" White Chattooga County (approx. 7.8 miles away); W.P. Brown & Sons Lumber Company (approx. 9.8 miles away in Alabama); Town Of Mentone (approx. 10 miles away in Alabama); Site of Cherokee Council Tree (approx. 10½ miles away in Alabama); Former Site Of Battelle (approx. 10.6 miles away in Alabama).
Categories. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 17, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 498 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on January 17, 2012, by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 23, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.