Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Bolivar in Hardeman County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Old Hatchie Town

 
 
Old Hatchie Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Ken Smith, April 11, 2009
1. Old Hatchie Town Marker
Inscription. Here in early days was Fowler's Ferry, at the head of steamboat navigation on the Hatchie River. A town, named Hatchie, was established in 1819. In 1824, because of repeated floods, the town was moved about 2 miles south and named Bolivar, in honor of the South American liberator.
 
Erected by Tennessee Historical Commisson. (Marker Number 4C 7.)
 
Location. 35° 16.277′ N, 88° 58.776′ W. Marker is in Bolivar, Tennessee, in Hardeman County. Marker is on North Main Street (Tennessee Route 18/125) south of Ruby Lane, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1017 N Main St, Bolivar TN 38008, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bolivar (approx. 1.1 miles away); St. James Episcopal Church (approx. 1.2 miles away); John Houston Bills (approx. 1.3 miles away); Battle of Middleburg (approx. 7.9 miles away); Sassafras Mill (approx. 11.7 miles away); Armstrong's Raid (approx. 14.3 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Old Hatchie Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Phillip Knecht, June 27, 2015
2. Old Hatchie Town Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 20, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 427 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 20, 2012, by Ken Smith of Milan, Tennessee.   2. submitted on June 28, 2015, by Phillip Knecht of Holly Springs, Mississippi. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement