Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Central City in Gilpin County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

The AOUW Building

 
 
The AOUW Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 1, 2009
1. The AOUW Building Marker
Inscription. One of the brick “fire proof” buildings which was destroyed in the fire of 1874 was Abraham Jacobs’ old store, located on this site. By August, a new one story building had been completed here and the old store was back in business for another 20 years. In 1898, the local lodge of the AOUW purchased the old building. The Ancient Order of United Workmen was a fraternal order that provided survivors’ benefits to families of deceased members. At the turn of the century, there were nearly 5000 subordinate lodges with a total membership of over 300,000. When the Central City lodge bought the old building for $3,600, they extended the building to the rear and added an elegant second floor. From 1899 to 1936, the Central City Post Office was located on the main floor. Not long after, C.C. Harper opened a grocery store which was opened through World War II. In 1948 the AOUW building became the “back room” of the Glory Hole Bar and alternately served as a dining room and a location for live theater.
Restoration completed March 1st, 1992
 
Location. 39° 47.983′ N, 105° 30.768′ W. Marker is in Central City, Colorado, in Gilpin County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 131 Main Street, Central City CO 80427, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
The AOUW Building Marker image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 1, 2009
2. The AOUW Building Marker
The marker is to the right of the building entrance and behind the bench.
At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Ignatz Meyer Building (a few steps from this marker); Central City Opera (within shouting distance of this marker); Central City (within shouting distance of this marker); The Rose Haydee Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Washington Hall (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Train Trestle (approx. one mile away); Bird’s-eye view of Black Hawk (approx. one mile away); Fick’s Carriage Shop (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Central City.
 
More about this marker. The AOUW Building (left), the Ignatz Meyer Building (center) and the Rose Haydee Building (right), a modern construction, have been ‘renovated’ and combined into the Doc Holliday Casino.
 
Also see . . .  The Ancient Order of United Workmen (AOUW). (Submitted on January 21, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California.)
 
Categories. Fraternal or Sororal Organizations
 
The AOUW Building image. Click for full size.
By Barry Swackhamer, July 1, 2009
3. The AOUW Building
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 21, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 580 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 21, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement