Johnstown in Fulton County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Tryon County Courthouse
Revolutionary War Heritage Trail
Four of the first judges in the King's Court were Sir William's Masonic brothers in St. Patrick's Lodge. Those four - John Butler, Guy Johnson, Johnson, and Daniel Claus - remained loyal to Britain while three other judges (Peter Conye, John Wells and Jelles Fonda) supported the American cause.
In 1777 Walter Butler, John's oldest son, a lawyer in Johnstown, was arrested for trying to recruit locals to the British cause after the Battle of Oriskany. General Benedict Arnold brought him to trial in this courthouse. Col. Marinus Willet presided and Walter Butler was convicted as a traitor and spy. He later escaped to Canada and only returned to this area as part of British military raids.
Erected by Mohawk Valley Heritage Corridor, HeritageNY.gov, NBT Bank.
Location. 43° 0.398′ N, 74° 22.463′ W. Marker is in Johnstown, New York, in Fulton County. Marker is on North William Street (New York State Route 29) near West Main Street (New York State Route 67), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Johnstown NY 12095, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonial Court House (here, next to this marker); Johnson Hall - 1763 (within shouting distance of this marker); Founder of Johnstown (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Superintendent of Indian Affairs (about 300 feet away); A Military Commander (about 300 feet away); A Colonial (about 300 feet away); Lest We Forget (about 300 feet away); Grave of Sir William Johnson (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Johnstown.
Categories. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 23, 2012, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 356 times since then and 23 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on January 17, 2012, by Joe Harness of Little Egg Harbor, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.