Helena in Phillips County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Phillips County, Arkansas
By the time Hernando DeSoto explored Arkansas in 1541 the area was home to two sophisticated Indian cultures, the Casoui and the Pacaha, and included large fortified towns. The point where DeSoto crossed the Mississippi River into Arkansas is much debated, with credible evidence that he crossed south of Helena into what is now Phillips County, opposite Sunflower Landing.
Between 1541 and 1803, France sold the territory known as the Louisiana Purchase, composed of 900,000 square miles to the United States for 15 million dollars.
Phillips County was created by an act of the Arkansas legislature dated May 1, 1820 and named for one of its earliest settlers, Sylvanus Phillips, a member of the Territorial Legislature.
Location. 34° 31.733′ N, 90° 35.183′ W. Marker is in Helena, Arkansas, in Phillips County. Marker is on Cherry Street. Touch for map. Located in Park in front of Courthouse. It is one of three concrete markers. Marker is in this post office area: Helena AR 72342, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 West Helena, Arkansas (here, next to this marker); Helena, Arkansas (a few steps from this marker); Loyal to the Old Flag (a few steps from this marker); Helena's Doughboy (a few steps from this marker); World War I 1917-1918 (within shouting distance of this marker); Phillips County Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); "We shall never be the same" (within shouting distance of this marker); Answering a Call for Help (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Helena.
Categories. • Notable Events •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 23, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 522 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on January 23, 2012, by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.