Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lubbock in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Prairie Dog Town

K. N. Clapp

 
 
Prairie Dog Town Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin Hoch, July 31, 2010
1. Prairie Dog Town Marker
Inscription. The vision of Prairie Dog Town was conceived and implemented by K. N. Clapp in 1935. In the 1930's the government's poisoning program was becoming effective, and he was alarmed that the extinction of the black-tailed prairie dog would result. Mr. Clapp designed this enclosure and, with his friend Ross Edwards, trapped two pairs of black-tailed prairie dogs to be the original residents. He oversaw Prairie Dog Town's care and operation until his death in 1969.
 
Location. 33° 35.908′ N, 101° 50.04′ W. Marker is in Lubbock, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is on MacKenzie Park Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lubbock TX 79403, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A Tribute to Cotton (approx. 1.1 miles away); Colonel T. S. Lubbock / Texas in the Civil War (approx. 1.1 miles away); Buddy Holly (approx. 1.3 miles away but has been reported missing); First Methodist Church of Lubbock (approx. 1.4 miles away); F W & D South Plains Railway Depot (approx. 1.5 miles away); J.I. Allison House circa 1950s (approx. 1.5 miles away); a different marker also named Buddy Holly (approx. 1.5 miles away); Lubbock Women's Club (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lubbock.
 
Categories. AnimalsEnvironment
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 3, 2012, by Kevin Hoch of Tulsa, Oklahoma. This page has been viewed 470 times since then and 48 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on February 3, 2012, by Kevin Hoch of Tulsa, Oklahoma. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement