Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Henry Shelton Sanford
Grove and Experimental Gardens
Erected 1961 by the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F-5.)
Location. 28° 48.713′ N, 81° 15.785′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is at the intersection of East 1st Street and Pine Avenue, on the left when traveling east on East 1st Street. Touch for map. The marker stands in front of the Sanford Museum. Marker is at or near this postal address: 520 East 1st Street, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Fort Mellon Park (here, next to this marker); Sanford's First Residents (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Bishop Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); Citrus to Celery The E. E. Brady Livery Stable (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Whalers Saloon (approx. 0.2 miles away); The U.S. Post Office (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Meisch Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
More about this marker. The marker is capped with the Great Seal of the State of Florida.
Regarding Henry Shelton Sanford. Henry Shelton Sanford was the United States Ambassador to Belgium under Presidents Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson.
The Great Freeze of 1895 destroyed the citrus industry in Sanford and areas north.
Also see . . . Henry Shelton Sanford page on Wikipedia. (Submitted on February 4, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida.)
Categories. • Agriculture • Horticulture & Forestry •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 4, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 521 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 4, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.