Hartford in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Erected by Charles & Sarah Chapman
in 1861. Bought in 1873
by Dr. Cincinnatus A. Taft leading
Hartford physician & Mark Twain's
family doctor. Members of the
Taft family resided here
for nearly forty years.
Restored in 1979 by
Raynald B. Cantin, Esq
Park level created 1982
Location. 41° 45.818′ N, 72° 40.772′ W. Marker is in Hartford, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Elm Street and Clinton Street, on the right when traveling east on Elm Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 97 Elm Street, Hartford CT 06106, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Scion of the Charter Oak (within shouting distance of this marker); Spanish War Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Confucius (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Col. Thomas Knowlton (about 600 feet away); 1st Connecticut Heavy Artillery (about 600 feet away); Trinity College (about 600 feet away); Joseph Roswell Hawley (about 700 feet away); Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Arch (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hartford.
Regarding Chapman-Taft House.
It is the last of three surviving brownstone buildings on Bushnell Park. Originally lined with brownstones, the location was a popular location for fine homes in downtown Hartford.
The building was purchased by Attorney Raynald B. Cantin in 1978 and restored in 1979. Original and period details, lost to the years, were replaced so that the home is again a showpiece of Hartford’s architectural history.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 5, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 362 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 5, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.