New York in New York County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Underground Central Station
1882 - 1917
plant supplying the first Edison
Underground Central Station System
in this country and forming the origin of New York's present electrical system.
Began operation on Sept.4.1882
according to plans conceived and
Thomas Alva Edison
To commemorate this epoch-making event
this tablet is erected by
The American Scenic and Historic Preservation Society
The New York Edison Company
Erected by American Scenic and Historic Preservation Society.
Location. 40° 42.484′ N, 74° 0.275′ W. Marker is in New York, New York, in New York County. Marker is on Fulton Street when traveling south. Touch for map. Corner of Pearl St.The original building address was 255-257 Pearl Street. The building burned down in 1889. The sole surviving turbine is preserved in Greenfield Village Museum, Dearborn, Michigan. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 Fulton St, New York NY 10038, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Titanic Memorial Lighthouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); South Street Seaport (about 300 feet away); 207 - 211 Water Street (about 500 feet away); Fulton Fish Waist - 142 Beekman Street (about 600 feet away); The Rigging Loft (about 700 feet away); George Clinton (approx. 0.2 miles away); FishBridge Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presidential Mansion (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New York.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Science & Medicine •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 9, 2012, by Mike McHugh of Perdido Bay, Florida. This page has been viewed 316 times since then and 22 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on February 9, 2012, by Mike McHugh of Perdido Bay, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.