Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Friant in Fresno County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Millerton

 
 
Millerton Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, May 22, 2011
1. Millerton Marker
Inscription.
Due north of here, now covered by the waters of the lake, was the site of Millerton, first County Seat of Fresno County 1856-1874

 
Erected 1971 by Jim Savage Chapter No. 1852, E Clampus Vitus. (Marker Number 13.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 36° 59.787′ N, 119° 41.854′ W. Marker is in Friant, California, in Fresno County. Marker is on Millerton Road. Touch for map. Marker and courthouse are located near the lake. It can be reached by a short drive north of Millerton Road. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4614 Millerton Road, Friant CA 93626, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Erected to the Memory of the Pioneers of the Millerton Area Whose Remains Rest Here (approx. 2.2 miles away); Fort Washington (approx. 8.4 miles away); Academy Methodist Church (approx. 11.4 miles away); Academy (approx. 11.6 miles away); Tarpey Depot (approx. 11.8 miles away); Clovis Veterans Memorial (approx. 11.9 miles away); Christmas Tree Lane (approx. 14.4 miles away); Sierra Sky Park (approx. 14.4 miles away).
 
Additional comments.
Court House - Vista Point image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, May 22, 2011
2. Court House - Vista Point

1. Millerton Marker
"Be it Remembered that Millerton Mining Camp, first county seat of Fresno County, home of the Mariposa Battalion lies due north of this spot beneath the waters of Lake Millerton. We have stepped aside for progress, but we have not forgotten. This Plaque erected by E Clampus Vitus April 22, 1956."

(Plaque located one mile northeast of Friant at reconstructed original Fresno County courthouse. Plaque originally prepared in 1956 by Amatuca Chapter, but emplacement delayed until April 25, 1971 on occasion of dedication of reconstructed Fresno County Courthouse.) Note To Editor only visible by Contributor and editor    
    — Submitted February 2, 2012, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California.

 
Categories. Notable PlacesSettlements & Settlers
 
Court House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, May 22, 2011
3. Court House
Flag Pole and Flags Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, May 22, 2011
4. Flag Pole and Flags Marker
Flag Pole and Flags donated by Native Sons of the Golden West Fresno Parlor 25 Native Daughters of the Golden West Fresno Parlor 187 Wawona Parlor 271 April 25, 1971
Court House image. Click for full size.
By Michael Kindig, May 22, 2011
5. Court House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on January 13, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. This page has been viewed 661 times since then and 42 times this year. Last updated on February 10, 2012, by Lester J Letson of Fresno, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 13, 2012, by Michael Kindig of Long Beach, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement