Quantico in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Littleton Waller Tazewell Waller
Location. 38° 31.424′ N, 77° 17.683′ W. Marker is in Quantico, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker is on Heywood Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Quantico VA 22134, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Acquisition of Quantico Marine Reservation (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crusading for Right (approx. 0.2 miles away); Kelly Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Mann Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Molly Marine (approx. 0.4 miles away); H-3-7 Korea 1950 (approx. 0.4 miles away); Jordan Hall (approx. half a mile away); In Commemoration of the Secretaries' First Conference (approx. 0.6 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Wiki entry for Major General Littleton Waller Tazewell Waller. (Submitted on July 23, 2014, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
2. National Register of Historic Places Registration Form for Rising Hill Camp - 44PW1412. Waller Hill wasn't coined until after the Marine Corps Base was formed here. During the Civil War, the Union map makers designated this area as Rising Hill. (Submitted on November 4, 2014, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.)
1. The Old Hotel on Rising Hill
A hotel was built in the l880s on "Rising Hill" overlooking the town of Quantico. It played an important role in Quantico's efforts to become an excursion center before the Marines arrived, and served as officers' quarters from 1917 on. Officers who lived there said it had "eight more bathrooms than the Emporium in Kansas City."
The Quantico Hotel became Marine Corps property in 1918 and was renamed "Waller Hall" in memory of Major Littleton W. T. Waller who had become one of the Corps' heroes because of his exploits on the island of Samar in the Philippines during 1901.
When the Marines took over, the building became a bachelor officers' quarters. Waller Hall served as officers' quarters and an officers' club until 20 October 1968, when it had
From: Quantico: Crossroads of the Marine Corps by Lieutenant Colonel Charles A. Fleming, Captain Robin L. Austin, USMC and Captain Charles A. Braley III, USMC and published by the History and Museums Division of Headquarters Marine Corps in 1978.
— Submitted February 11, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.
Categories. • Military • Notable Buildings • Notable Persons • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 8, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,501 times since then and 49 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 8, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 5. submitted on November 13, 2014, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. 6. submitted on April 9, 2015, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.