Captain John Griﬃths
This island is named after him and he was responsible for bringing the first White settlers from Launceston, Tasmania to Portland Bay and Port Fairy Victoria.
He established the first major whaling station at Portland in 1833 and later established a larger whaling station on this island, in 1836.
An entrepreneur, his activities included ship-builder, ship-owner, intercolonial trader, merchant, farmer, whaler, sailor, brewer, flour-miller, and landowner.
Erected 1985 by Tasmanian Descendants of Captain John Griffiths.
Location. 38° 23.455′ S, 142° 15.24′ E. Marker is near Port Fairy, Victoria. Marker is on Griffiths Island just east of Ocean Drive, on the left. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Port Fairy, Victoria 3284, Australia.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within walking distance of this marker. SS Casino (approx. 1.2 kilometers away).
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 10, 2012, by Jenny Beacham of Hepburn Springs, Victoria. This page has been viewed 1,267 times since then and 37 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on February 11, 2012, by Jenny Beacham of Hepburn Springs, Victoria. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide shot of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?