Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
General William Jenkins Worth
Worth was involved in defenses along the Canadian border in the 1830s and in 1841-1842 led an expedition against the Florida Seminole Indians. He was awarded a commendation from the Florida Territorial Legislature and was promoted to Brigadier General.
During the Mexican War Worth fought at The Battle of Monterrey. He received a Sword of Honor from the U.S. Congress and a promotion to Major General.
While serving as Commander of the Texas and New Mexico Military Districts, Worth died of cholera in San Antonio in 1849. Fort Worth, a frontier post established after his death, was named in his honor. Worth was buried in New York City, his grave, at Broadway and Fifth Avenue, is marked by a Fifty Foot Monument and is surrounded by a fence of cast iron swords, copies of his New York State Sword of Honor.
Location. 32° 45.101′ Touch for map. Located across from Hotel Texas (Hilton)/Radisson in the park in General Worth Square. Marker is at or near this postal address: 936 Main Street, Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. JFK (within shouting distance of this marker); Cynthia Ann Parker and Native Americans of North Texas (within shouting distance of this marker); Flatiron Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Worth Library (about 300 feet away); The Atelier Building (about 300 feet away); Flying Machines (about 400 feet away); The Wild Bunch (about 700 feet away); John Peter Smith (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Categories. • Military • War, Mexican-American • Wars, US Indian •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 804 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 11, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.