Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
John Peter Smith
Although opposed to the secession of Texas during the Civil War, Smith raised a company of Tarrant County men for the Confederacy and joined Sibley's Brigade in 1861. While in the war he served in the unsuccessful invasion of New Mexico, the recapture of Galveston in 1863, and was severely wounded at Donaldsville, Louisiana, later that year.
After the war Smith returned to Fort Worth, where he became involved in the development of the city. He helped organize a bank, gas light company, and street railway. He also donated land for parks, cemeteries, and a hospital, later named John Peter Smith Hospital. In 1882 he became mayor and directed the establishment of many public services, including the school system and the water department.
In 1901 Smith died in St. Louis, Missouri, while on a promotional trip for Fort Worth. He is buried in Oakwood Cemetery, a site he donated to the city.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2799.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1123 Throckmorton St, Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Patrick's Cathedral (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Saint Stanislaus Kostka Catholic Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Ignatius Academy Building (about 400 feet away); Flatiron Building (about 500 feet away); Fort Worth Library (about 500 feet away); The Atelier Building (about 700 feet away); General William Jenkins Worth (about 700 feet away); JFK (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Also see . . . Smith, John Peter. The Handbook of Texas Online, Texas State Historical Association (Submitted on February 12, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Politics • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 11, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 750 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 11, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.