Uvalde in Uvalde County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fort Inge, Camp Dix, C.S.A.
Camp Dix, located 7 mi. East. Established in 1862. Part of state frontier defense line a day's horseback ride apart from the Red River to the Rio Grande to protect frontier settlements. Occupied by Texas Frontier Regiment. Although Uvalde County voted 76 to 16 against secession, a number of men joined the Confederate Army. Some, being Unionists, moved to Mexico. The war brought hard times and a rash of Indian attacks. In 1863-64 when Federals held the lower Rio Grande, Eagle Pass became the chief export city for the Confederacy and wagon trains increased along the road. Often without food, clothing, horses, ammunition, the Confederate and State troops, backed by citizens' posses brought a measure of protection to this frontier region.
A memorial to Texans who
Erected 1963 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 1991.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the San Antonio-El Paso Road marker series.
Location. 29° 12.573′ N, 99° 47.166′ W. Marker is in Uvalde, Texas, in Uvalde County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street (U.S. 90) and North Getty Street (U.S. 83), on the left when traveling east on West Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Uvalde TX 78801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Early Texas Wagon Yards (within shouting distance of this marker); Uvalde County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Uvalde County (within shouting distance of this marker); Reading Wood Black (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Kincaid Hotel (about 300 feet away); Grand Opera House (about 400 feet away); Capt. William Benson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Original Site of Uvalde High School (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Uvalde.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 16, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. This page has been viewed 451 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 16, 2012, by Zacharias Beau T of Alpine, Texas. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.