Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
“Where the West Begins”
In 1856 Fort Worth became county seat of Tarrant County. A boom started after 1867 when millions of longhorns were driven through town en route to Red River Crossing and Chisholm Trail. Herds forded the Trinity below Courthouse Bluff, one block north of this site. Cowboys got supplies for the long uptrail drive and caroused in taverns and dance halls.
After railroad arrived in 1876, increased cattle traffic won city the nickname of "Cowtown".
By 1900, Fort Worth was one of world's largest cattle markets. Population tripled between 1900 and 1910. Growth continued, based on varied multimillion dollar industries of meat packing, flour milling, grain storage, oil, aircraft plants and military bases. Fort Worth also has developed as a center of culture, with universities, museums, art galleries, theatres and a botanic garden.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2026.)
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 W Belknap St, Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the First Masonic Hall in Fort Worth (here, next to this marker); The Site of Camp Worth (here, next to this marker); Tarrant County Criminal Courts Building (a few steps from this marker); Leonard Brothers Department Store (within shouting distance of this marker); First School (within shouting distance of this marker); 1784 Tarrant County 1815 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); "The Stage Leaves From Here" (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Worth's First Telephone Exchange (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on September 15, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 17, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 399 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 17, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.