Orangeburg in Orangeburg County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Orangeburg County / Discovering Orangeburg
Built in the 1830s it is thought to be one of the oldest of the plantation summer homes in the area. Acquired by the Church of the Epiphany across the street, it was used for various church activities. Now it serves as a restaurant and gift shop.
Holly Hill Depot
Built in the 1890s, the present depot now serves the community as the Community Center, Tri-County Regional Chamber of Commerce and Visitorís Center.
Norway High School (Old Willow)
The school built in 1926 was first known as Willow School and later as Norway High School. After the school closed, the town developed plans to turn it into a multi-use building with a visitor center and auditorium.
Edisto Memorial Gardens Visitor Center & Chamber of Commerce.
The Gardenís development began in the 1920s with some five acres of azaleas and has expanded over the years. Today there are 50 beds of roses and the Gardens feature a 2,600 foot boardwalk, picnic shelters, art center and educational program.
Branchville Railroad Shrine and Museum
Located at the site of the oldest railroad junction in the world, this museum celebrates the areaís railroad history and featurs exhibits on life on the railroad.
Located in the Historic District of Elloree the museum depicts the rural life of this section of Orangeburg County. Exhibits focus on the importance of cotton, farming and family life.
Santee Cultural Arts and Visitor Center
Located in a historic school house moved from the town of Parker to the town Hall Complex, the Center features gallery space for changing exhibits, meeting space, tourism office and visitor amenities.
Old Springfield High School
This renovated 1929 high school serves the community as a Visitorsí Welcome Center and features exhibits on education and life in the community as well as a 4,000 square foot auditorium.
Valentineís was founded in the early 1900s by J.L. Valentine, who ran a diverse farm business that included a cotton gin, fertilizer sales and a general store. The present general store was built in the 1940s and, while a working store, looks more like a museum.
Claflin University was established in 1869 and is one of the oldest historically black universities in the state. Several buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places and display an individual architectural style executed with distinction. The campus is an evolving aesthetic
S.C. State University
Founded in 1896 as the Colored Normal, Industrial, Agricultural & Mechanical College of South Carolina, the campus includes 10 historic buildings that date from 1917. Renamed South Carolina State College in 1954, it was elevated to university status in 1992. The campus has the second largest planetarium in the state featuring a forty-foot diameter dome and Sky-Skan Automation. The L.P. Stanback museum features African and African-American works.
Edisto Memorial Gardens: Stop and Smell the Roses
The Gardens stand as the centerpiece of Orangeburg, which is known as the “Garden City” of South Carolina. Featuring over 5,000 rose plants, the Gardens, which are city owned and operated, are an official Display and Test Garden for All-America Rose Selections, Inc. Established in 1926, the Gardens feature roses, sculptures, fountains, century-old moss covered oaks and cypress trees, azaleas, camellias, cherry trees and other beautiful flowering plants. Take a stroll on the 2,600 linear foot boardwalk of the Home Wetlands Park. The boardwalk takes you into a Tupela/Cypress Swamp along the North Fork of the Edisto River, the longest black water river in the world. Other must see areas of the Gardens include the D.P.U. Centennial Park, the Sensory Garden, the Butterfly Garden,
The Orangeburg County Fine Arts Center
The Orangeburg County Fine Arts Center provides many outstanding performances and exhibits as does Claflin University and South Carolina State University. Art facilities are found on both campuses, at the Bluebird Theatre, home of the Part-Time Players, and at the newly renovated Stevenson Auditorium.
The historic downtown area has experienced much change over the years and has evolved to the point where progressive streetscape projects are underway, which emphasize aesthetics while retaining the unique architecture of the buildings. Antiques and other specialty shops are found in the area.
Several historic cemeteries are interesting areas to visit. The more prominent ones include the Pioneer Graveyard, the Orangeburg Cemetery, the Old Presbyterian Cemetery, and Sunnyside Cemetery.
The Great Outdoors
If you are an outdoor enthusiast, one of the finest municipal golf courses in the Southeast. Hillcrest features outstanding playing conditions at reasonable rates.
The U.S. Fish
Erected by The State of South Carolina.
Location. 33° 29.18′ N, 80° 52.315′ W. Marker is in Orangeburg, South Carolina, in Orangeburg County. Marker is on Riverside Drive, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Inside Edisto Memorial Gardens. Marker is in this post office area: Orangeburg SC 29115, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans Memorial Fountain (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Veterans Memorial Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Flag (approx. 0.2 miles away); Defense of Edisto Bridge (approx. 0.3 miles away); Albergotti Playground (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pioneer Graveyard (approx. half a mile away); Jewish Merchants/Jewish Life (approx. half a mile away); Old Dixie Club Library (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orangeburg.
Categories. • Landmarks •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 18, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 948 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15. submitted on February 18, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.