Galveston in Galveston County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. Patrick Catholic Church
The Rev. Laurence Glynn arrived in 1871, a few days after storms destroyed the sanctuary. He rallied the congregation and by 1877 an impressive Gothic structure, designed by noted architect and church member Nicholas J. Clayton, was completed. A parish school was established in the 1880s.
After the storm of 1900 the U.S. Corps of Engineers mandated that Galveston Island be elevated, and between 1905 and 1907 the massive St. Patrick building was lifted five feet onto a new foundation.
Two mission churches were founded by St. Patrick Church, Our Lady of Guadalupe Church became its own parish in 1927, and Queen of Peace Church continued as a mission of St. Patrick Church. In the late 1980s the parish elementary schools were consolidated. The school facilities at St. Patrick were converted for parish offices, religious education, and social events. The congregation continues its traditional role as a leading Catholic institution for Galveston Island.
Erected 1996 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker
Location. 29° 17.754′ N, 94° 48.271′ W. Marker is in Galveston, Texas, in Galveston County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue K and 34th Street, on the right when traveling west on Avenue K. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1010 35th St, Galveston TX 77550, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hagemann-Cobb House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Grace Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of the Home of Michel Branamour Menard (approx. 0.3 miles away); Galveston Artillery Club (approx. 0.4 miles away); Powhatan House (approx. 0.4 miles away); James Love (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Bankhead Magruder (approx. 0.4 miles away); Thomas Joseph (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galveston.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. This page has been viewed 525 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 19, 2012, by Steve Gustafson of Lufkin, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.