Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

First Christian Church of Fort Worth

 
 
First Christian Church of Fort Worth Marker image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 21, 2010
1. First Christian Church of Fort Worth Marker
Inscription. City’s pioneer congregation, organized by the Rev. A.M. Dean, who with hymn book and revolver came in 1855 to the riotous six-year-old hamlet on the Trinity. He held services (at present Belknap and Houston Streets) in a log house built for Post Surgeon, 2nd Dragoons, U.S. Army, stationed at Fort that gave city its name.

Charter members were: Mr. and Mrs. James K. Allen, Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin P. Ayres, Mrs. Francis M. Durrett, Mrs. Alfred D. Johnson, Mrs. Florence Peak, Mr. and Mrs. William A. Sanderson, and Stephen Terry. First regular meeting place, a one-story concrete house at present Belknap and Lamar, was used on weekdays by Col. John Peter Smith (member of congregation) for sessions of the first public school established in Fort Worth.

Rev. Mr. Dean, a frontier farmer, was followed as Pastor by Dr. B.F. Hall, a dentist, and by Dr. Mansell Mathews, physician and judge of Red River County, and head of a large family grazing cattle in this area.

Confederate General R.M. Gano of Grapevine after the Civil War preached regularly at this church. In later 1860s came the Rev. Joseph Clark and sons Addison and Randolph, who in 1873 founded Add-Ran College, forerunner of Texas Christian University.

First Christian is the oldest church in Fort Worth.
 
Erected
First Christian Church of Fort Worth image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 21, 2010
2. First Christian Church of Fort Worth
1970 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 1710.)
 
Location. 32° 45.153′ N, 97° 19.925′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of Throckmorton Street and West 6th Street, on the left when traveling north on Throckmorton Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 612 Throckmorton St, Fort Worth TX 76102, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Amon G. Carter (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Neil P. Anderson Building (about 600 feet away); Flying Machines (about 600 feet away); The Wild Bunch (about 600 feet away); Amon G. Carter, Sr. (1879-1955) (about 600 feet away); Blackstone Hotel (about 600 feet away); Cynthia Ann Parker and Native Americans of North Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away); General William Jenkins Worth (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
 
Also see . . .  Fort Worth First Christian Church. (Submitted on February 20, 2012, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Education
 
City of Fort Worth Landmark Medallion image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 21, 2010
3. City of Fort Worth Landmark Medallion
(Lower Plaque) Entered in the National Register of Historic Places (1983)
First Christian Church Sign image. Click for full size.
By Denise Boose, May 21, 2010
4. First Christian Church Sign
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 19, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 435 times since then and 43 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 19, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement