Santa Clara in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Mission Corral Site
In 1847, marking the transition from Spanish/Mexican mission to American town, William Campbell mapped the Mission land, designating the corral as a “Public Square”. The Town’s first official survey in 1866 reconfirmed this use, although the area had been reduced in size.
By the late 1800s it was called Plaza Park. A bandstand had been erected, and the existing circle of trees planted. In 1904, as their first community project, the Women’s Club improved the park, landscaping, painting fences and benches, and later placing a foundation.
Today, with the old structures gone (the bandstand moved to the San Jose Historical Museum and the fountain top placed at the Women’s Club Adobe), the Mission Library and small park occupy this remnant of the corral site; steeped in Santa Clara’s early history.
Erected 1999 by Santa Clara Historical and Landmark Commission.
Location. 37° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Santa Clara CA 95050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dr. Henry Warburton House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Luis Arguello Home (about 300 feet away); Landrum House (about 600 feet away); Elim Community Church (about 800 feet away); Old Downtown Santa Clara (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dr. Saxe Office Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Robert Menzel House (approx. ¼ mile away); Mission Santa Clara Veterans Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Clara.
Categories. • Hispanic Americans • Notable Places •
More. Search the internet for Mission Corral Site.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 23, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 496 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 23, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the bandstand on display at the San Jose Historical Museum. • Photo of the fountain top at the Women's Club Adobe. • Can you help?