Melbourne Beach in Brevard County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Community Chapel of Melbourne Beach Florida
—Built in 1892 —
At a cost of $200 and a donation for interior finishing, the Chapel was constructed by volunteers from the Melbourne Beach Sunday School, a forerunner group of the Chapel.
The first Chapel Service was held on January 10, 1892 and Services were held in the afternoons and seasonally for many years. The pulpit duties were performed by visiting and mainland ministers. The first salaried minister was installed in 1929.
In 1928 the children of the Chapel began a children's fund to obtain a bell and the bell and belfry were mounted atop the Chapel in 1931. The bell is reported to have come from a Church in Conway, an early settlement adjacent to Orlando, Florida. The children were responsible for ringing the bell by hand prior to services and the charming tradition continues today.
Numerous renovations have been necessary as a result of damage from flood water, fire, hurricanes and termites between 1957 and 1966. A Save the Chapel campaign was launched to underwrite precautionary measures to preserve the restructuring made in 1942 when the seating capacity was doubled by adding the East and West transepts.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Melbourne Beach FL 32951, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Myrtle Cottage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Ryckman House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Villa Marine (about 700 feet away); Melbourne & Atlantic Railroad (approx. 0.2 miles away); Melbourne Beach Pier (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Melbourne Beach Town Hall (approx. 1˝ miles away); Indialantic Casino (approx. 1.7 miles away); Billy Wallace House (approx. 2.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Melbourne Beach.
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 24, 2012, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. This page has been viewed 603 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 24, 2012, by Jamie Cox of Melbourne, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.