Petworth in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Mr. Lincolnís Ride
Lift Every Voice Georgia Avenue
óGeorgia Ave./Pleasant Plains Heritage Trail ó
Itís the summer of 1862. Early morning, but already hot and dusty. Youíre standing at this spot, when you see a tall man on horseback. Itís President Abraham Lincoln. Youíre pleased to see him, but not surprised. After all, he rides by here often.
Georgia Avenue, then the Seventh Street Turnpike, ran between downtown Washington and Rock Creek Church Road, which led to Lincolnís summer cottage on the grounds of the Old Soldiersí Home (now the Armed Forces Retirement Home). Though Lincoln generally traveled with military escorts, sometimes he sneaked out before dawn or after dark to journey in solitude.
The Civil War was a year old. Lincoln occasionally stopped to visit with formerly enslaved men and women or wounded soldiers at settlements and Army camps along his route. Harewood Hospital, once located near todayís Washington Hospital Center, was one of these. The poet Walt Whitman described Harewood as “out in the woods, pleasant and recluse.”
In March 1865, southern radical John Wilkes Booth heard the president would attend a play at Campbell Hospital, then located at Sixth and Florida, near where this Heritage Trail begins. Booth plotted unsuccessfully to kidnap Lincoln on his way back to the cottage. But a mere month later, he had his way, assassinating Lincoln at Fordís Theatre.
For 83 years Engine Company 24, DCís first fully motorized fire company, occupied the south end of this block. Though the facility closed in 1994, its handsome faÁade survives on the Metro cooling plant on New Hampshire Avenue just south of this corner. The Green line opened here in 1999.
President Lincolnís Cottage at the time of his visits.
Lincoln Financial Foundation Collection, courtesy Indiana State Museum
President Lincoln, seen here reviewing troops, followed this route to the cottage.
Library of Congress
“Washington, D.C. 1862-4" showing the usual route taken by President Lincoln to the Soldierís Home
Based of Boshkeís map of 1861.
Lincoln assassin John Wilkes Booth, right, considered attacking Lincoln at Campbell Hospital, above.
Library of Congress
Military musicians pose in front of a Harewood Hospital building, 1864, right. The flimsy hospital wards stretch across the hillside, below.
Library of Congress
In 1949 Engine Company 24 stood on the site of todayís Park Place apartments.
Historical Society of Washington, D.C.
Erected 2011 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 19 of 19.)
Location. Touch for map. The marker is at a three-street intersection which includes New Hampshite Avenue, NW. It is on the corner, at the south end of the Park Place Apartments and across Georgia Avenue from the “Georgia Avenue/Petworth" Metro subway station. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20011, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Former Engine Co 24 of the District of Columbia Fire Department (within shouting distance of this marker); Billy Simpson's House of Seafood and Steaks (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Modern Shopper (approx. ľ mile away); The Next Wave (approx. 0.3 miles away); A Changing Landscape (approx. 0.3 miles away); Charles R. Drew and Lenore Robbins Drew (approx. 0.4 miles away); From Beer Garden to Park View (was approx. 0.4 miles away but has been reported missing. ); Community Builders (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Petworth.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the
Additional keywords. Georgia Ave.-Petworth Metro Station; "Park Place at Petworth Metro"
Categories. • Notable Persons • Roads & Vehicles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on August 15, 2017. This page originally submitted on February 25, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 620 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on February 26, 2012, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12. submitted on May 26, 2013, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.