Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
West Hartford in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
 

Goodman Green

 
 
Goodman Green Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 1, 2012
1. Goodman Green Marker
Inscription.
Goodman Green
In 1747 this oblong of land was given by Timothy Goodman to the West Hartford Parish of the Congregational Church for use as a parade ground of the local militia company. Still owned by the parish, it is maintained by the town. For nearly two hundred and fifty years it has been the heart of West Hartford, and formerly was surrounded by buildings that sustained the life of an old New England town: the meeting house, town hall, parsonage, academy, district school, general store, post office, and tavern. Its flagpole and descendant of the Charter Oak are symbols of patriotism and political freedom. The green has been the site of many and varied communal ceremonies and celebrations. Here, on May 3, 1854, a throng of citizens rejoiced at the good news that General Assembly of Connecticut had passed an act to incorporate West Hartford as a town.
 
Location. 41° 45.694′ N, 72° 44.518′ W. Marker is in West Hartford, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street and Farmington Avenue, on the left when traveling north on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: West Hartford CT 06107, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Meeting House Corner (within
Goodman Green Marker image. Click for full size.
By Michael Herrick, February 1, 2012
2. Goodman Green Marker
shouting distance of this marker); Connecticut Veterans Memorial West Hartford (within shouting distance of this marker); West Hartford (within shouting distance of this marker); SS Maiden Creek (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Public Library Building in West Hartford (about 400 feet away); Webster Walk (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Webster Walk (about 400 feet away); Korczak Ziolkowski (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in West Hartford.
 
Categories. Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 3, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 428 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 3, 2012, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.
Paid Advertisement