Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sanford in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

The Bishop Block

Erected - 1887

 

301-309 East First Street

 
The Bishop Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
1. The Bishop Block Marker
Inscription. Construction began in December 1887 by Captain J.O. Northesag, of New York, for the owner J.N. Bishop. Completion in 1888 made the Bishop Block a significant structure of Sanford's downtown commercial district. It was originally occupied by a milliner, jeweler, gents clothier and a confectionary. In the early 20th century the City Hall was located here.

The building is two story, brick construction with a rectangular floor plan. The style is Romanesque Revival featuring a flat roof with parapet, a street level marquee, a metal cornice, modillion and pilaster capitals and brick fretwork. The windows are divided by Romanesque-style pilasters. There is a low broad Romanesque arch at the main entrance.

The exterior is essentially the same as when it was constructed. Only a small decorative cone-shaped tower roof has been removed and the marquee has been changed.

Listed in the National Register of Historic Places - 1976

 
Erected 1989 by the Sanford Historic Preservation Board.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, Sanford Historic Preservation Board marker series.
 
Location. 28° 48.698′ N, 81° 15.94′ W. Marker is in Sanford, Florida
The Bishop Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
2. The Bishop Block Marker
, in Seminole County. Marker is on East First Street east of Palmetto Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. The marker is mounted on the building, facing the sidewalk. Marker is at or near this postal address: 305 East First Street, Sanford FL 32771, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The E. E. Brady Livery Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); The Whalers Saloon (within shouting distance of this marker); The U.S. Post Office (within shouting distance of this marker); The Peoples Bank Building and Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Meisch Building (about 300 feet away); The Sanford Herald Building (about 400 feet away); The Imperial Opera House (about 500 feet away); The Hill Hardware Building (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sanford.
 
Regarding The Bishop Block. The Bishop Block is not listed individually with the National Register of Historic Places. In the NRHP listing cited by the marker, the building is designated one of several Contributing Structures within the Sanford Commercial District, a National Historic District.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
The Bishop Block Marker image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
3. The Bishop Block Marker
Seen on the right, mounted on the red brick arch
The Bishop Block image. Click for full size.
By AGS Media, December 30, 2011
4. The Bishop Block
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. This page has been viewed 358 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 4, 2012, by Glenn Sheffield of Tampa, Florida. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement