La Grange in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Fayette County Courthouse
Funding for the 1890-91 courthouse came from the sale of $90,000 in bonds. Martin, Byrnes and Johnston of Colorado City served as building contractors. Gordon designed the courthouse in the Romanesque Revival style and specified four types of native Texas stone to detail the exterior: Blue Muldoon sandstone, Belton White limestone, Pecos Red sandstone and Pink Burnet granite. A central open atrium, designed to promote good lighting and natural ventilation, highlighted the interior space. The extensive use of stone, along with the massive arched windows and doorways, exemplify the building's Romanesque Revival influences.
The oldest existing J. Riely Gordon courthouse in Texas, the Fayette County courthouse was completed in 1891. It has served as a setting for social events, celebrations, courtroom dramas and political oratory, and continues as a center of politics and government for
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12627.)
Location. 29° 54.304′ N, 96° 52.739′ W. Marker is in La Grange, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is on North Main Street south of West Colorado Street, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: La Grange TX 78945, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Birthplace of the SPJST (here, next to this marker); The Dawson Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Beer Office and Bottling Company (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Dawson Expedition / Historic Oak Tree (about 400 feet away); Site of a Twin Blockhouse (about 700 feet away); The First U.S. Postal Rural Mail Route in Texas (about 800 feet away); Bradshaw-Killough House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Hermes House (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Grange.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 4, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 449 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 4, 2012, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 3. submitted on February 14, 2015, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.