Near Columbia in Tuolumne County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Columbia Marble Quarry
one mile from this site)
Deposit discovered in
1854 by John Grant.
Produced the marble used
in Pacific Coast buildings.
Erected 1978 by E Clampus Vitus, Matuca Chapter 1849, Marble Donated by F. C. Grant.
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
Location. 38° 3.052′ N, 120° 24.829′ W. Marker is near Columbia, California, in Tuolumne County. Marker is at the intersection of Parrots Ferry Road (County Route E18) and Marble Quarry Road, on the right when traveling north on Parrots Ferry Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 23511 Parrots Ferry Road, Columbia CA 95310, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Columbia Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Charles Crist Kress (approx. 1.2 miles away); To Honor the Chinese Pioneers (approx. 1.2 miles away); Columbia Masonic Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); James Wood Coffroth (approx. 1.2 miles away); Columbia School House Claverie Building (approx. 1.2 miles away); Bixel Brewery (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Also see . . . Columbia Marble Quarries. Details and history of the quarries located near Columbia. Includes current and historic photos. (Submitted on March 11, 2012.)
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 388 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 8, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.