Leesylvania State Park in Prince William County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
“At the Point of Rock”
Freestone Point was actively quarried during colonial times. The sandstone was easily cut and transported by boat long the river. The abundant supply of inexpensive building material available at this site led early colonists to perceive it as almost “free stone.” Sandstone quarried from the point was used as the foundation material for the manor house and other buildings of Henry Lee and his wife Lucy Grymes Lee when they settled here and established the Leesylvania Plantation around 1750.
Erected by Leesylvania State Park.
Location. 38° 35.488′ N, 77° 14.823′ W. Marker is in Leesylvania State Park, Virginia, in Prince William County. Marker can be reached from Daniel K Ludwig Drive. Touch for map. Marker is near the within Leesylvania State Park pier. Marker is in this post office area: Woodbridge VA 22191, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance "A Pacific Paradise on the Potomac" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lee’s Woods Historic Trail (about 300 feet away); Freestone Point Earthworks (about 400 feet away); The Freestone Point Hunt Club (about 400 feet away); "Light Horse Harry" Lee (about 500 feet away); A Fight on the Potomac (about 500 feet away); Iron Pulley Wheel (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Freestone Fisheries (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesylvania State Park.
More about this marker. On the left of the marker is an “artist’s rendition of the active quarry at Freestone Point."
Categories. • Landmarks • Natural Features •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,041 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on February 12, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.