Bordentown in Burlington County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Bordentown Female College
The Bordentown Female College
1850 — 1900
Presented by the B.F.C. Association
Erected 1914 by Bordentown Female College Association.
Location. 40° 8.774′ N, 74° 42.703′ W. Marker is in Bordentown, New Jersey, in Burlington County. Marker is on Crosswicks St. near Farnsworth Ave, in the median. Touch for map. Marker divides Crosswicks Street where Crosswicks intersects and ends at Farnsworth Ave in the Historic Bordentown district. It is within 50 feet of the Bordentown City Hall. Marker is in this post office area: Bordentown NJ 08505, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Tower Clock (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas Paine (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First movement by steam on a railroad in New Jersey (about 700 feet away); Patience Lowell Wright (approx. 0.2 miles away); Francis Hopkinson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Wright House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Col. Joseph Borden 2nd (approx. 0.2 miles away); Borden's Towne (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bordentown.
More about this marker.
All of the plumbing for the fountain has been removed. The designer made interesting use of books in the design of the marker's crown in keeping with its academic theme.
Also see . . . 1880 Circular for Bordentown Female College. Established by a Methodist minister in 1851, Bordentown Female College was a well-known boarding school. It operated successfully until it fell victim to financial problems brought on by the Panic of 1893. (Submitted on February 12, 2008.)
Categories. • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,366 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 12, 2008, by R. C. of Shrewsbury, New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.