Fort Worth in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
This site has been within three separate cities: North Fort Worth until 1909; Niles City, 1911-23; and in Fort Worth since 1923. It is the birthplace of the indoor rodeo, and the first live radio broadcast of a rodeo was transmitted here on WBAP Radio in 1923.
The Coliseum also has served as a place for cultural, educational, religious, social, and civic events. In 1911, former President Theodore Roosevelt spoke here. Numerous Texas Governors, performing artists, grand operas, entertainers and evangelists have appeared here. The great Italian tenor, Enrico Caruso, performed here in 1920.
In 1936, the Stock Yards Company sold the coliseum to the City of Fort Worth. Historically it has been an important part of the city and the livestock industry.
Erected 1984 by
Location. 32° 47.339′ N, 97° 20.872′ W. Marker is in Fort Worth, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of East Exchange Avenue and Rodeo Plaza, on the left when traveling east on East Exchange Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 E Exchange Ave, Fort Worth TX 76164, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Bulldogger (here, next to this marker); Early Quarter Horse Shows (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Worth Stock Yards Entrance (within shouting distance of this marker); Thannisch Block Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Thomas B. Saunders Family (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Worth Stockyards Horse and Mule Barns (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Worth Livestock Exchange (about 400 feet away); Fort Worth Stock Yards Company (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Worth.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 11, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. This page has been viewed 344 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 11, 2012, by Denise Boose of Tehachapi, California. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.