Grand Prairie in Dallas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
LiveStone Lodge No. 152, F. & A. M.
In 1944, the lodge building was moved to the Dalworth community. The site, in one of the few areas where African Americans were allowed to buy property, cost $200. As at “The Line,” LiveStone members, leaders in the African-American community of Grand Prairie, have continued to provide a center for community gatherings, education, and public meetings.
Erected 1997 by Live Stone Lodge No. 152, F&AM. (Marker Number 12012.)
Location. 32° 44.181′ N, 97° 1.65′ W. Marker is in Grand Prairie, Texas, in Dallas County. Marker is on SW 18th Street north of Beaumont Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1802 Beaumont, Grand Prairie TX 75051, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Arlington Downs Racetrack and Fountain (approx. 2½ miles away); Site of Arlington Downs Racetrack (approx. 2.6 miles away); Carver Dixon King Houston Hitching Block (approx. 4.6 miles away); Bankhead Highway Through Arlington (approx. 4.6 miles away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 5 miles away); Jesse Chisholm (approx. 5½ miles away); Site of Bird's Fort (approx. 5½ miles away).
Regarding LiveStone Lodge No. 152, F. & A. M.. The Most Worshipful Grand Master of Prince Hall Masons in Texas Jurisdiction, J.W. McKinney, granted dispensation to Livestone Masonic Lodge #152 on the 24th day of July, 1903.
Seeing the need of brotherhood and fraternity to bind our community together, our Masonic forefathers petitioned the Grand Lodge of Texas for a charter to open a Lodge. The following Worthy Master Masons reading in the vicinity of Grand Prairie were involved in the petition to be organized as a Lodge: L.C. Combs, J.R. Moore, Charles E. Swan, Henry Williams, Joe Taylor, and Aaron Jones. These men were authorized and empowered to open a Lodge of Free and Accepted Masons in the town of Grand Prairie, County of Dallas Texas.
The Lodge building was originally built for the newly formed Lodge in the vicinity of Antioch Baptist Church and Cemetery, near the
At this site, the slaves that were freed following the Civil War made a “colored” community. The Lodge building was used by “The Line” residents for many community, not just Lodge meetings. According to Mrs. Iola Reed Smith, as documented on audiotape by Mrs. Ruthie Jackson, June 30, 1986, it was used as a schoolhouse and church. Mrs. Iola remembers her school days at this building site. According to Mrs. Smith, the Lodge Hall also originally housed the Evening Chapel A.M.E. Church in the churches’ earlier days before the congregation could secure their own building.
In 1944, the Lodge building was relocated to the Dalworth community, and placed on land purchased from the Dalworth Company for $200.00 dollars, at its present location at 18th St. and Beaumont.
At the time that the building was relocated, a new cornerstone was installed in the foundation, to the right
Livestone #152 F. & A.M.
Organized July 24, 1903
Laid by Metropolitan Lodge #146 F. & A.M.
July 22, 1945
The building served the Dalworth Community in multiple ways, as it had when located at “The Line”. It served as a community-meeting place, a social center, and again as a school. For a couple of years, around 1944, while the Dalworth School was being built, David Daniels conducted 6th and 7th grade classes in the upstairs room of the Lodge. Box suppers and community socials were held in the downstairs room periodically. And, while Lodge meetings were held in the upstairs room, the first floor was used by members of the Dalworth chapters of Eastern Star and the Heroines of Jericho (which were formed by the Livestone Lodge) for their meetings and community events.
According to current members David Daniels and Sam Brown, some of the builders of the Lodge were: Mose Jordan (Past Worshipful Master), M.G. Tallie, Willie Shelton, Eddie Dance, Tom Dell, Leon Shelton, Charlie Dawson, Charlie Reese, Harry Fisher, and Robert Shelton. Livestone Lodge has had a major impact on its community throughout its history, both as a physical structure and in the spirit of its members who have been the leaders in the African American community of Grand Prairie.
1. Lodge Building
As of October 12, 2013, the lodge building is no longer at the site of the marker.
— Submitted November 24, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas.
Additional keywords. Masonic, Lodge, Prince Hall, F&AM, Freemason
Categories. • African Americans • Education • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on February 12, 2008, by Odin Clack of Irving, Texas. This page has been viewed 4,421 times since then and 123 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on February 13, 2008, by Odin Clack of Irving, Texas. 2. submitted on February 12, 2008, by Odin Clack of Irving, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on March 2, 2008, by Odin Clack of Irving, Texas. 5. submitted on November 24, 2013, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.