Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Gloria Dei Evangelical Lutheran Church
Balch and Lippert, Architects
— 1922 —
Designated October 15, 2002
Erected 2012 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 148.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 4.703′ N, 89° 22.888′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Mifflin Street and North Hancock Street, on the left when traveling east on East Mifflin Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison WI 53703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 Robert Lamp House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. Patrick's Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nichols Station (approx. 0.2 miles away); Draper Brothers Block (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mattermore - Malaney House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nelson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emily Thompson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Belmont Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Regarding Gloria Dei Evangelical Lutheran Church. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "This church was designed in the late Gothic Revival style by an unknown architect. The original section features pointed-arch windows, brick buttresses, and lead muntins in its windows, as well as a unique tapered tower with a stepped, Flemish-style parapet. The building was built for a Swedish Lutheran congregation and later served St. Paul's A.M.E. Church from 1965 until 1997. Local architect Grover Lippert designed the two-story Sunday School addition in 1957. In 1997 the building was converted to condominiums."
Also see . . . Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the building (pdf). (Submitted on March 29, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Categories. • Churches & Religion •
More. Search the internet for Gloria Dei Evangelical Lutheran Church.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 13, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 401 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 13, 2012, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.