Near Marietta in Cobb County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Sope Creek Industries
By 1859 a paper mill was operating downstream, making writing, printing, and wrapping paper. Both industries were built here to utilize water power.
Burned by the Federals, the paper mill was rebuilt and operated until the early 1900´s. A unit of the paper mill operated in Marietta until 1918.
Erected 1992 by Georgia Department of Natural Resources. (Marker Number 033-36.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 56.267′ N, 84° 26.6′ W. Marker was near Marietta, Georgia, in Cobb County. Marker was on Road to parking lot for Chattahoochee River NRA 0 miles south of Paper Mill Road, on the left. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Marietta GA 30067, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Soap Creek Paper Mills (here, next to this marker); The 23d Corps at Soap Creek (here, next to this marker); The 23D Corps at Soap Creek (within shouting distance of this marker); Gantt House (approx. 1.2 miles away); Confederate Battery Position (approx. 1.4 miles away); Isom's Ferry (approx. 1.7 miles away); Garrard & Newton Move on Roswell (approx. 2.3 miles away); The River Patrol & Cochran’s Ford (approx. 2.5 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marietta.
More about this marker. This marker replaced an earlier marker of the same title and similar text erected by the Georgia Historical Commission, which had disappeared from Paper Mill Road at the Soap Creek bridge, near this location.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 14, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 519 times since then and 37 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on March 14, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.