Near Griffin in Spalding County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
John McIntosh Kell
Erected 1940 by Works Progress Administration.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects marker series.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 33° 19.933′ N, 84° 17.283′ W. Marker was near Griffin, Georgia, in Spalding County. Marker was on Old Atlanta Road (Old Georgia Route 41) 0.1 miles north of Caruso Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: Griffin GA 30223, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this location, measured as the crow John McIntosh Kell (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Camp (approx. 3.8 miles away); a different marker also named Confederate Camp (approx. 4 miles away); Old McIntosh Road (approx. 4 miles away); Georgia Experiment Station (approx. 4.7 miles away); Founding of Griffin (approx. 5.8 miles away); Lewis Lawrence Griffin (approx. 6 miles away); The City of Griffin (approx. 6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Griffin.
More about this marker. In 2001 the Georgia Historical Society installed a modern marker (see 11704) to replace the long-missing WPA marker. The text is taken from that modern marker.
Regarding John McIntosh Kell. The book “Griffin, Georgia: We Could Have Been Famous... Volume 2: Heroes, 1890-1949” by KyL T. Cobb, Jr. contains the following information about the featured marker and other markers. They were placed as part of the celebration of the centennial of the founding of Griffin, Georgia.
“June 18  was “Aviation Day” and it began with the presentation of three historial markers. One of the markers was at the home of John McIntosh Kell in Sunny Side. The other two markers were placed at Camp Stephens and Camp Milner. An air show was
Categories. • War, Mexican-American • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page was last revised on July 20, 2018. This page originally submitted on March 16, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 748 times since then and 52 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 16, 2012, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Possibly a photo of the original marker that was here? • Can you help?