Britton's Neck in Marion County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Marion's Camp at Snow's Island
During the American Revolution Gen. Francis Marion (ca. 1732 ~ 1795), the most successful of the Patriot partisan leaders, made his camp and headquarters about 1.8 mi. SSW on Snow's Island. The island, named for settlers James and William Snow, is bounded by the Pee Dee River, Lynche's River, and Clark's Creek.
Marion, called "the Swamp Fox," led a S.C. militia brigade that camped on the island in the winter of 1780 ~ 81. In March 1781, with Marion and his men absent, Loyalist under Col. Welborn Doyle raided and destroyed the camp. Marion continued to frustrate British and Loyalist commanders until the end of the war.
Erected 2012 by The Blue Savannah-Swamp Fox Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution. (Marker Number 34 - 16.)
Location. 33° 51.966′ N, 79° 20.05′ W. Marker is in Britton's Neck, South Carolina, in Marion County. Marker is on U.S. 378 near Bluff Road, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. There is a paved pull-off for convenient/safe viewing. Marker is in this post office area: Gresham SC 29546, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Britton's Neck/Britton's Ferry (within shouting distance of this Snow’s Island: Den of the Swamp Fox (approx. 1.7 miles away); Marion at Port’s Ferry / Asbury at Port’s Ferry (approx. 6˝ miles away); Witherspoon’s Ferry: Francis Marion Takes Command (approx. 6.8 miles away); Witherspoon’s Ferry / Johnsonville (approx. 6.9 miles away); Ebenezer United Methodist Church (approx. 7.6 miles away); Levister Elementary School (approx. 11.8 miles away); Pleasant Hill School (approx. 13 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Britton's Neck.
More about this marker. This marker replaces marker 34-4 that was erected by The Snow's Island Chapter, Children of the American Revolution, 1972.
Categories. • Colonial Era • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 19, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 909 times since then and 81 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 19, 2012, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.