Indianapolis in Marion County, Indiana — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Market Street Temple
Hungarian Jews were replacing German Jews in Market Street neighborhood in late 1800s. Hungarian Ohev Zedeck Congregation (founded 1884) purchased Market Street Temple and occupied it 1899-1927. Ohev Zedeck merged 1927 with Congregation Beth El (founded 1915), forming Beth El Zedeck. Vacant Market Street Temple, landmark of Indianapolis and Reform Judaism, demolished 1933.
Erected 1999 by the Indiana Historical Bureau, Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation, and Charles B. Feibleman Fund. (Marker Number 49.1999.3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Indiana State Historical Bureau Markers marker series.
Location. 39° 46.092′ N, 86° 9.008′ W. Marker is in Indianapolis, Indiana, in Marion County. Marker is on East Market Street east of North Pennsylvania Street (U.S. 31), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. “Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis Has Left the Building” (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lockerbie Square (approx. 0.3 miles away); Roberts Park United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Athenaeum (approx. 0.4 miles away); Soldiers and Sailors Monument (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Indianapolis.
Regarding Market Street Temple. The Temple is no longer located on this site. A parking garage of some sort is currently located there.
Also see . . . Jews in Indiana. Essay by Timothy Crumrin and Sheryl D. Vanderstel (Submitted on September 18, 2006.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on September 18, 2006, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,507 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 18, 2006, by M. Bowyer of Indianapolis, Indiana. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.