Rockport in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Rockport’s Wharves and Pavilions
When the San Antonio & Aransas Pass Railroad came to Rockport in July 1888, it constructed a wharf at the end of North Street so that boxcars could be rolled directly to the ships. Reportedly, passengers would fish from the train as they waited for cargo to be loaded.
In the 1890s, the Bailey Pavilion was built on the end of a wharf extending into Aransas Bay. Located in front of the Aransas Hotel (later the Del Mar), the Pavilion became the social and cultural center of the community. During the day, bathers splashed in its shaded waters and, for fifteen cents, could rent a private changing room. In the evenings, the Pavilion’s stage hosted traveling theatrical troupes, minstrels, and medicine shows. Rockport’s first graduating class (six students) held commencement there on May 17, 1907. The Bailey Pavilion was destroyed in the 1919 hurricane.
Location. 28° 1.317′ N, 97° 3.015′ W. Marker is in Rockport, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is at the intersection of Water Street and Wharf Street, on the right when traveling north on Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockport TX 78382, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of Aransas Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockport’s Grand Hotels (within shouting distance of this marker); The Packeries of Rockport (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Rockport Pilot (about 400 feet away); Sorenson-Stair Building (about 500 feet away); The San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railroad in Rockport (about 800 feet away); Aransas County Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Methodist Church of Rockport (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockport.
Categories. • Entertainment • Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2012. This page has been viewed 576 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 21, 2012. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.