Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rockport in Aransas County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Rockport’s Seafood Industry

 
 
Rockport’s Seafood Industry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, March 21, 2012
1. Rockport’s Seafood Industry Marker
Inscription. Rockport’s commercial seafood companies have been operating for more than one hundred years. By 1903, David Rockport Scrivner had opened a fish house. In 1907, he sold to Roy Jackson who named the operation the Jackson Fish Company. A few years later, Luis Cobilini and a Mr. Gentry began the Union Fish Company. Cobilini later sold the firm to Ernest Camehl. The 1919 hurricane destroyed the Union Fish building, but Camehl rebuilt and, in 1932, the building became a ship’s chandlery.

About 1909, Charlie Gibson established the Rockport Fish and Oyster Company, which sold Mesquite Bay oysters. Its building stood on pilings over Aransas Bay. Most of the early fish companies had their own fleet of boats for catching fish in nets, but they would also buy from local fishermen. On many days and nights, Rockport’s fishing companies shipped dozens of barrels of fish by rail. In 1907, the State of Texas established regulations to stop overfishing, and the local industry declined.

In 1919, Ford Jackson bought his brother’s interest in the Jackson Fish Company and changed the name to Jackson Seafood Company. Jackson added shrimp to his harvest, and the local shrimping industry developed rapidly after 1925. By 1935, Travis Johnson and Charles Picton founded the Johnson Fish company; shrimp was its main product.

After
Long View of Rockport’s Seafood Industry Marker image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, March 21, 2012
2. Long View of Rockport’s Seafood Industry Marker
hurricane Celia in 1970, Jackson Seafood diversified by harvesting sea scallops on the East Coast. Although the company closed in 1991, other Rockport firms, including several owned and operated by Vietnamese immigrants, have continued harvesting fish and shrimp.
 
Erected 2011 by Visionaries in Preservation, Aransas County Historical Society, Inc., Texas Historical Foundation, Texas Tropical Trail/Texas Historical Commission, Aransas County Historical Commission, City of Rockport, and Margaret Sue Rust Foundation. (Marker Number 7.)
 
Location. 28° 1.532′ N, 97° 3.004′ W. Marker is in Rockport, Texas, in Aransas County. Marker is at the intersection of Veterans Memorial Drive and North Austin Street (Loop Texas Highway 70), on the right when traveling east on Veterans Memorial Drive. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Rockport TX 78382, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Woman’s Club of Aransas County Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Aransas County Veterans Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fulton-Bruhl House (about 400 feet away); Hoopes-Smith House
First Eight Signs for Rockport's Pathways to History image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, March 21, 2012
3. First Eight Signs for Rockport's Pathways to History
(about 600 feet away); Bracht House (about 700 feet away); Rockport’s Harbor (about 800 feet away); St. Peter’s Episcopal Church (about 800 feet away); First National Bank of Rockport (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockport.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
#9 and Future Signage for Rockport's Pathways to History image. Click for full size.
By Norman Frank, March 21, 2012
4. #9 and Future Signage for Rockport's Pathways to History
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 21, 2012. This page has been viewed 627 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 21, 2012. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement