Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
(Philips Temple C. M. E. Church)
—City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1982 —
James W. Plachek, Architect, 1921
The popularity of early movies created a demand for new spaces to accommodate eager audiences. South Berkeley’s first neighborhood theater with 144 stools for seats was established across Adeline Street in a storefront. In 1910 this building was constructed with 400 seats. It was soon enlarged to 800 seats. The owners advertised that “every foot of film’ that was shown has passed their own “personal inspection.”
In 1921 James Plachek redesigned the theater to provide 1,500 seats, an organ to accompany silent films, an Italian Renaissance-style facade and a large marquee. In 1954 the building began a second life as the home of the Phillips Temple C.M.E. Church. The congregation raised the substantial sum necessary to renovate the building in 1999 for earthquake safety and to restore much of the facade.
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° 50.88′ N, 122° 16.311′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Adeline Street south of Alcatraz Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3332 Adeline Street, Berkeley CA 94703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. South Berkeley Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Black Panther Party Stoplight (approx. 0.6 miles away); Frances Albrier (approx. 0.8 miles away); Longfellow School (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Shuman Block (approx. 1.1 miles away); Charles W. Woodworth House (approx. 1.1 miles away); Historic McGee-Spaulding District (approx. 1.1 miles away); Barker Building (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Categories. • Arts, Letters, Music • Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 469 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 23, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.