Athens in Athens County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Manasseh Cutler Hall
This tablet is dedicated to honor
1742 - 1823
Chaplain in the Revolutionary War
Minister, Physician, Scentist, Teacher and Statesman.
Through his efforts, the Continental Congress by a land grant in 1787, set aside "two complete townships to be given perpetually for the purpose of an university" to the end that "religion, morality and knowledge being necessary to good government and the happiness of mankind, schools and the means of education shall forever be encouraged."
Erected September 28, 1939
Erected 1939 by Ohio Society, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Location. 39° 19.565′ N, 82° 6.018′ W. Marker is in Athens, Ohio, in Athens County. Touch for map. Hall and marker are just south of the Ohio University campus green, and about 600 feet SSE of the intersection of Court and Union Streets. Marker is in this post office area: Athens OH 45701, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ohio University's Distinguished Visitors (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ohio University Sundial The Elms (about 400 feet away); The Kissing Circle (about 400 feet away); Memorial Auditorium (about 400 feet away); Student Voices (about 400 feet away); Athens County Civil War Soldiers and Sailors Memorial (about 500 feet away); Bicentennial of the Northwest Ordinance (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Also see . . .
1. Manasseh Cutler. (Submitted on March 23, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Manasseh Cutler. (Submitted on March 23, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. Manasseh Cutler Collection at Ohio University. (Submitted on March 23, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Education • Man-Made Features • Science & Medicine • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 679 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 23, 2012, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.