Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Bowen’s Inn/Higgins Grocery
—City of Berkeley Landmark, designated in 1985 —
In 1872 the building became Berkeley’s first post office, in James Higgins’ grocery store. In 1893 Sam Heywood, later mayor of Berkeley, moved the building to the corner of Delaware and Fifth streets where he opened it as a “temperance grocery store.” Around 1920 it was moved to this site where it later served as the home of the Liberty Hill Baptist Church before becoming a private residence.
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° 52.235′ N, 122° 17.873′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker is on Delaware Street east of 6th Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 834 Delaware Street, Berkeley CA 94710, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within Delaware Street Historic District (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Church of the Good Shepherd (approx. 0.2 miles away); Harpoon Cannon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Spenger’s Fish Grotto (approx. 0.2 miles away); Workingman’s Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toveri Tupa – Finnish Hall (approx. ¼ mile away); Fullen Market Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); American Photoplayer Co. (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Categories. • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 23, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 511 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 23, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.