Berkeley in Alameda County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Site of Thousand Oaks School
(Demolished in 1998)
—William C. Hays, Architect, 1919; Stone and de Sanno, Architects, 1928 —
designated in 1993
The residential subdivision of Thousand Oaks was incorporated into Berkeley in 1920. On this site, one year earlier, a new school building overlooking Blackberry Creek was built to replace wooden bungalows which had served as an elementary school. This school, designed by William C. Hays, Professor of Architecture at the University of California, had a third floor added in 1928. It was modified again in 1935 for earthquake safety. Designed in a style in keeping with neighborhood houses, the building (above, in 1933) was a traditional early 20th-century school. It had operable multipaned windows, wide hallways, hardwood floors, a kindergarten room with a fireplace, and an impressive wood-paneled auditorium which served as a community meeting hall. The building was demolished in 1998 and replaced by a new Thousands Oaks School designed by Muller & Caulfield, Architects.
Erected 2000 by Berkeley Historical Plaque Project.
Location. 37° 53.55′ N, 122° 16.826′ W. Marker is in Berkeley, California, in Alameda County. Marker can be reached from Colusa Avenue south of Tacoma Avenue, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Thousand Oaks Neighborhood and Urns (approx. 0.3 miles away); Indian Rock (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mortar Rock (approx. 0.4 miles away); John Hinkel Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Northbrae Public Improvements (approx. half a mile away); North Branch Berkeley Public Library (approx. 0.6 miles away); Live Oak Park (approx. 0.8 miles away); Edward A. Brakenridge House (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Berkeley.
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on March 24, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2012, by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.